Website Northwest Steelheaders
The Association of Northwest Steelheaders (ANWS) seeks an energetic Organizer and Outreach Coordinator to help educate, organize, and mobilize people to conserve salmon populations in the Columbia and Snake Rivers.
ANWS are anglers dedicated to enhancing and protecting fisheries and their habitats for today and tomorrow. One of the oldest and most-cherished conservation organizations in Oregon, the Association of Northwest Steelheaders was founded in 1960. The Association currently has 1,200 active members and 11 chapters in Oregon and Washington. ANWS is a state affiliate of the National Wildlife Federation (NWF).
The ANWS Organizer and Outreach Coordinator will work closely with ANWS board and staff and NWF staff to elevate issues related to salmon populations in the Columbia and Snake Rivers, organize people into advocacy action on these issues, secure media hits in traditional and online media, and communicate with government decision-makers.
- Work with ANWS staff and board, NWF, and partner organizations to develop and execute comprehensive, creative and goal-driven campaign plan for Columbia and Snake River salmon restoration campaign
- Identify, cultivate, and mobilize grasstop and grassroots leaders from diverse constituencies
- Organize public events and meetings (tabling at expos, film screenings, petition signings, etc.) including the press and communications associated with those events
- Develop messaging around Columbia and Snake River salmon issues
- Write, edit, coordinate and publish press releases, media alerts, advisories, op-eds, LTE’s, blogs and social media posts
- Build relationships and communication pathways with Oregon’s Congressional delegation, Governor Brown, and their staffs
- Strengthen the ANWS “brand” to elevate the impact and reach of our work
- Regularly coordinate and communicate with organizational partners to assure a cohesive and efficient campaign
- Develop, track and report on progress and success metrics for grant work and outreach
- Build relationships with ANWS and NWF staff, ANWS chapters, and other conservation leaders and partners in the state
- The ideal candidate has led advocacy campaigns including multi-faceted communications and marketing strategies and has a passion for conservation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (including strong editing skills and attention to detail) and an ability to convey conservation messages across a range of audiences and across the political spectrum
- Proven success in pitching and securing media placements across all media platforms and channels: TV, radio, print, online, etc.
- Prior experience with tools used for constituent management, social media, and the metrics required to measure those effectively
- Familiarity with issues related to salmon conservation, river ecology, the Snake River dams and Bonneville Power Administration’s role regarding them, and the political landscape in the Northwest is preferable
- Willing to build relationships and a wide and diverse network of community stakeholders to support Columbia and Snake Rivers salmon recovery
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and travel
- Energetic, creative self-starter, able to work independently and cooperatively with little supervision
- Candidate preferably is an avid angler
- B.A. or B.S. degree and 3+ years relevant work experience in advocacy communications and/or grassroots organizing
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Chris Hager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compensation range is $45-55K/year commensurate with experience
The ANWS is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act. The ANWS hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.
This is not an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities. Position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com