Conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends.
Arlington, Virginia, USA
The location of this position is flexible to all locations where The Nature Conservancy is registered to do business
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. Whether it’s career development, work/life balance, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all of our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued.
In addition to the minimum requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Passion, innovation, and diversity are all key components to advancing our Mission and we encourage you to apply.
All TNC staff based in the U.S. or a U.S. Territory are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of receiving one of the vaccines approved in the U.S. (Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson) shall be condition of employment and must be provided prior to starting work. TNC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and reasonable accommodations for candidates who cannot be vaccinated due to a valid medical or religious reason, or claim an exemption under applicable state law will be considered.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Resilient Watersheds Network Associate develops, manages and advances the capacity building workstream for The Nature Conservancy’s global Resilient Watersheds (RW) strategy under the Provide Food and Water Sustainably Priority. Under this strategy, they engage and connect TNC and partner-led project teams. They will develop and execute an engagement strategy for the Resilient Watersheds community of practice, aid RW leadership in supporting the strategy’s priority place-based projects and capture and synthesize in-demand community knowledge for wider dissemination via publication, websites and trainings.
The Resilient Watersheds Network Associate supports the Associate Director with the development, implementation, and management of the strategy’s capacity building workstream, which aims to mainstream the adoption of best practices in watershed conservation.
- Develop a strategy to engage members of the Water Funds Network and grow new membership in our target audiences. The Network Associate is responsible for supporting members in progressing through the watershed investment program development lifecycle, and connecting them with the tools, resources, and trainings to do so.
- Leverage TNC and partner communications channels to share resources and host webinars that promote best practices in watershed conservation. They will align their workplan with regional and national level peer network leads, as well as the Knowledge Manager for the Nature for Water Technical Assistance Facility.
- Develop topical expertise in user-driven watershed investment programs – including water funds – and respond to inquiries about the sector and TNC’s strategy.
- Collaborate with experts to develop at least one high-demand knowledge product and host one global training (virtual or in-person) for the strategy, per year.
- Update and maintain database of training materials to ensure their quality for corporate and regional trainings.
- Assist the Associate Director, Resilient Watersheds in supporting the strategy’s 14 flagship projects. They will develop a process to regularly evaluate projects’ needs, and work with Leadership to divert capacity and resources to assist them in reaching their 2030 outcomes and intermediate results.
- Update and maintain the WF Toolbox to ensure its quality and relevance. May include adding and removing webpages and resources; conducting quality assurance; creating new content; managing bug fixes with support from IT; recommending plans to update or maintain assets into the future; etc.
- Leverage international fora – e.g., World Water Forum, World Water Week, CBD COP, etc. – to promote TNC’s solutions and successes, and expand the Water Funds Network to include members from non-traditional conservation sectors.
- Support ad hoc business assessments of progress towards outcomes and intermediate results; create presentations to Leadership and partners
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
Provides strategic analysis in support of the conservation agenda for Resilient Watersheds
Develops and collaborates with a network of TNC staff and partners to support the adoption of key conservation strategies
Designs, implements, and directs complex and diverse projects encompassing multiple programs.
Provides cost-benefit analysis of conservation opportunities
Incorporates cross disciplinary knowledge to support program objectives.
Serves as a team leader for assigned projects.
Requires willingness and ability to travel up to 25% both domestically and internationally.
- BA/BS, law or business degree and 5 years’ experience in natural resource management or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience negotiating complex agreements.
- Experience communicating with the public and/or media both in writing and verbally.
- Experience using applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in training and curriculum design.
- Experience with presentation skills.
- Multi-lingual skills (e.g., English, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, French) and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience are appreciated.
- Strong team player who can build relationships and work collaboratively across the organization and with partners.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s) and has experience organizing and driving complex processes.
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in freshwater ecosystem / biodiversity conservation and of watershed investment programs.
- Excellent communication skills via written, spoken and graphical means, and ability to explain conservation practices to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Interest and ability in incorporating a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens when communicating and in decision-making.
- Self-starter with ability to generate work plans with limited support in line with the overall conservation strategies.
- Experience contributing to business plans or major strategy assessments.
- Willingness to learn and develop expertise in new conservation strategies, economic drivers, management tools, and global affairs.
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems or approaches, building marketing funnels, or mapping out customer journeys.
- Effective and proactive problem-solving skills.
To apply for job ID 50759, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on 01/17/2022. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
To apply for this job please visit careers.nature.org.